Sunday music Feb. 26
This post is straight from the Mr. Furious [blog] ...
This weekend at St. Peter’s I hosted guest musicians Scott, Megan, and Erin; we spent most of the afternoon Saturday working on music for worship yesterday. Two original compositions and three unique arrangements rose out of collaboration among friends old and new; below is a piece-by-piece look at the music we made. Scottie and I also warmed up with some acoustic h&s beforehand, including “Under My Protection,” “Where Will I Alight?,” “Wait, You’re Where?!,” “Blues, or Astroblue?,” and “Major & Minor.” Q: Why do I like questions as song titles so much?
“St. Peter’s, Va, Mawu, Va” - My drum call with ScoMo was a combination of two rhythms; the first a medium groove for improvising to call the congregation into the sanctuary, then breaking into a furious step (get out the way, get out the way!) and the spoken Call to Worship with Jody in Ewe language. The title means “St. Peter’s, come! God, come!” - someday I’ll do an EP/album of drum music, and this is definitely going to the “SAVE” pile.
“Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing” - Megan’s guitar arrangement of this traditional hymn placed the first and second verses in a new harmonic framework with a new melody; we all joined together for the third. It’s a dynamic setting, the music flowing around and reflecting the lyrics; Scott (sax), Erin (viola) and I (djembe) were responsive to her lead and her voice.
“From The Cloud” - Scott’s new composition, written for this Sunday, reflects the day’s text (Mark 9:2-9). From the sound of footsteps ascending the mountain, the transfiguration itself, and the voice that follows, he sets the elements of the story in a jazz/African context with saxophone melody and drum rhythm. In a style similar to “At Its Rising” (on the MFR XMAS comp), Scott explores the intersection between composed and improvised elements of music; he writes sections/themes/melodies/rhythms, and some ”glue” that holds them together. For a performance, we dance through these sections/glue in a given order, improvising with their sound, length, intensity, etc.
“Dear Lord” - Scott chose this Coltrane tune, and we set it in a slow gospel 6/8 rhythm, because of our minimal instrumentation (sax/drums - no piano, etc.) and because I’m not so much of a swing drummer (the original is in a steady swing 4). I felt best about the 10:30 version; I was finally finding the right combination of space and sound to support Scott’s big sax tone. Sidenote; the large acoustic instruments, tenor sax and djembe, sounded incredible in the sanctuary without amplification. I wish my voice and guitar had that size sound, because I love playing without mics.
-howie
2 Comments:
Great to learn how this all came about. It was a wonderful worship experience. Thanks.
I've never been in worship like this before. It was great to have young adults in leadership. We need that!
Post a Comment
<< Home